Children's Eye Safety FAQ
Practicing good eye safety is important for protecting your child's vision. At Wear Eyewear in Chicago and Orland Park, we help children maintain good eye health. Knowing how to take care of your little one's eyes and what to do in the event of an eye accident can help your child maintain sharp, clear vision.
What can a parent do to prevent eye injuries?
There are many things you can do to protect your child from eye injuries, including:
- Purchase age-appropriate toys.
- Put foam protectors on the edges and corners of tables.
- Avoid toys that shoot projectiles.
- Install safety gates at the top and bottom of the stairs.
- Keep chemicals away from small children.
What should a parent do if debris gets in their child's eye?
If your child gets an object in his or her eye, lift the eyelid and ask your child to blink quickly. Your child's eye will produce tears which will help flush away the object or the debris in your child's eye. If this doesn't work, ask your child to hold his or her eye closed and seek medical attention immediately.
Why are comprehensive vision exams important?
Comprehensive vision exams are a good way for the eye doctor to catch eye diseases and eye conditions before they become serious. During your child's annual vision exam, the eye doctor will check your child for the following:
- Eye functionality. Your child's eye doctor will check your child to ensure that his or her eyes are capable of seeing color, perceiving depth and so on.
- Vision clarity. Your child's eye doctor will check to ensure that your child is able to see objects in the distance clearly.
- Eye health. The eye doctor will check your child for common eye diseases and other conditions. If your child's eye doctor determines that your child has eye disease, he or she will recommend treatment right away.
What are the signs of vision trouble in Chicago IL?
Children who have vision trouble will display the following symptoms:
- Squinting when looking at objects in the distance.
- Insistence upon sitting close to the television and white board.
- Headaches from reading or concentrating on school work.
- Use of a pointer finger to keep the eye on track when reading.
Where can your child go for eye care in Chicago IL?
If your child is displaying signs of vision trouble or if your child has suffered and eye injury, contact Wear Eyewear in Chicago and Orland Park. We help children manage their eye health and maintain clear vision. To make an appointment, call us at one of our convenient locations.